Sunday, April 24, 2011

Shadows and Hallways

Continuing my quest to improve my art skills, I made another scene.

This scene consists of a hallway. In one direction it leads to a large room, and in the other to two smaller rooms.



The scene is made up of modular objects, like a single section of wall, or a doorway, allowing for a huge amount of control over the layout of the entire level.
The problems began when I tried to reduce the amount of draw cells the scene uses. One way of doing this is to combine the meshes of several objects on screen. However, when the script to do so was added to the objects it caused sections of the lightmap or even entire modules to disapear. With mesh combining out of the picture, the scene could probably still be optimized by using occlusion culling.

I originally intended to use the scene for a survival horror game, but because the art style didn't turn out as planned, and for the reasons above, I probably wont be using these assets.

No comments:

Post a Comment